KIPS Parenting Assessment Publications
By KIPS Developers:
- Gordon, Philip R. & Comfort, Marilee (2013). How Parenting Assessment Strengthens Family Services. Journal of Health Visiting, 1(11), 626-32. Download PDF
See Current Contents and order subscriptions to Journal of Health Visiting at http://www.journalofhealthvisiting.com/
- Comfort, Marilee & Gordon, Philip R. (2013). KIPS has strong evidence of reliability and validity. Letter to the Editor, Journal of Health Visiting, 1(9), 540.
View abstract and order JHV subscriptions at: http://www.journalofhealthvisiting.com/cgi-bin/go.pl/library/abstract.html?uid=100870
Comfort, Marilee, Gordon, Philip R. & Naples, Denise (2011). KIPS: An Evidence-Based Tool for Assessing Parenting
Strengths and Needs in Diverse Families. Infants & Young Children: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Early Childhood Intervention, 24(1), 56-74. Download PDF
Other IYC Articles can be searched and ordered at: http://journals.lww.com/iycjournal/pages/default.aspx
Comfort, Marilee, Gordon, Philip R., English, Brenda, Hacker, Karen, Hembree, Renee, Knight, Renee, & Miller, Cheryl (2010). Keys to Interactive Parenting Scale: KIPS Shows How Parents Grow. Zero to Three Journal, 30(4), 33-39.
Single issues can be ordered at:
Comfort, Marilee & Gordon, Philip R. (2006). The Keys to Interactive Parenting Scale (KIPS): A Practical Observational Assessment of Parenting Behavior. NHSA Dialog: A Research-To-Practice Journal for the Early Intervention Field, 9(1), 22-48.
Comfort, Marilee, Gordon, Philip R. & Unger, Donald G. (2006). Keys to Interactive Parenting Scale: A Window Into Many Facets of Parenting. Zero to Three Journal, 26(5), 37-44.
Single issues can be ordered at:
By Independent Researchers and Clinicians:
- Lefever, Jennifer EB., Bigelow, Kathryn M., Carta, JJ, Borkowski, JG, Grandfield, E, McCune, L, Irvin, DW, Warren, SF. (2017). Long-Term Impact of a Cell Phone-enhanced Parenting Intervention. Child Maltreatment, 22 (4), 305-314. Download PDF.
- Gannon, Meghan, Mackenzie, Michael, Kaltenbach, Karol, Abatemarco, Diane (2017). Impact of Mindfulness-Based Parenting on women in treatment for opioid disorder. Journal of Addiction Medicine, Jul 25. doi: 10.1097/ADM.0000000000000336. [Epub ahead of print] Abstract and full text pdf available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28746242
- Lanier, Paul, O’Brien, Jennifer E., Rizo, Cynthia Fraga, Welch, Hannah & Macy, Rebecca (2016). Examining parenting quality and dyad interactions between female CPS- and/or court-involved partner violence survivors and their young
children using observational methods. Journal of Child Custody, 13 (1), 30-51. Abstract and full text pdf available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15379418.2016.1132025
- DOHVE Compendium of Measurement Tools for MIECHV Grantees - April 2016 - List of measurement tools relevant to and commonly used to assess maternal, child, and family outcomes in home visiting models. It was compiled through a review of the literature on home visiting programs. Note: KIPS is listed under Parenting measures on page 13 and a few references and contact info are noted on page 45.
Shapiro, Cheri J., Kilburn, Janice, & Hardin, James W. (2014). Prevention of behavior problems in a selected population: Stepping Stones Triple P for parents of young children with disabilities. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 35, 2958-2975. Abstract available at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0891422214003126
- UCL Institute for Health Equity (UK) (2014). Measuring What Matters: A Guide for Children’s Centres – Report recommends a framework of child and parenting outcomes and measures, which includes a review of the research literature, expert advisory panel input, field visits, and rationale for each measure. KIPS is recommended for 4 of the parenting outcomes. Download at http://www.instituteofhealthequity.org/projects/measuring-what-matters-a-guide-for-childrens-centres
- Carta, Judith J., Lefever, Jennifer B., Bigelow, Kathryn, Borkowski, John & Warren, Steven F. (2013). Randomized Trial of a Cellular Phone-Enhanced Home Visitation Parenting Intervention. Pediatrics, 132,S167-S173. To read online or download PDF go to: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/132/Supplement_2/S167.full.html
- Lefever, Jennifer B., Bigelow, Kathryn M., Carta, Judith J. & Borkowski, J. G. (2013). Prediction of Early Engagement and Completion of a Home Visitation Parenting Intervention for Preventing Child Maltreatment. NHSA Dialog, 16(1), 1–19. To read online or download PDF go to: https://journals.uncc.edu/dialog/article/view/40
Bigelow, Kathryn M., Lefever, Jennifer B., Carta, Judith J., Borkowski, John (2013). Enhancing Parent Engagement and Program Completion in a Home Visiting Parenting Intervention Through the Use of Cellular Phones. NHSA Dialog, 16(1), 165-170. To read online or download PDF go to: https://journals.uncc.edu/dialog/article/view/49
Balbernie, Robin & Gorney, Carry (2011). Unlocking the Potential: Video Can Be a Powerful Tool When Working with Hard to Reach Parents. YoungMinds Magazine, 110, 22-23.
Editor’s Note: This article on video feedback as a powerful clinical tool first appeared in the February/March 2011 issue of YoungMinds Magazine and has been reproduced with the editor's consent. Download PDF. To find out more about YoungMinds Magazine go to www.youngminds.org.uk/magazine
Balbernie, Robin (2010). The Keys to Interactive Parenting Scale: A Video-Based Method for Assessment and Intervention in the Early Years. Newsletter for the Association of Infant Mental Health (UK), Winter, 6-11. Description of AIMH (UK) and membership available at: http://www.aimh.org.uk/
KIPS Parenting Outcomes Reports
- Child Crisis Arizona, PAT Home Visiting Program Evaluation Annual Report, August 2018. Prepared by LeCroy & Milligan Associates, Inc. | Download PDF. Note: Scroll to Outcome Evaluation, p. 42, for PAT parenting outcomes measured by KIPS.
- South Carolina First Steps Evaluation of Parents as Teachers 2008-2016, December 2017. PowerPoint Presentation by Dan Wuori, SCFS and Compass Evaluation and Research, Inc. | Download PowerPoint.
- South Carolina First Steps Evaluation of Parents as Teachers 2008-2016, December 2017. Full Report Prepared by Compass Evaluation and Research, Inc. | Download PDF. Note: Scroll to p. 25 for KIPS Results.
- Nebraska Children & Families Foundation, Sixpence Early Learning Fund, Annual Evaluation Report 2015-2016, Prepared by the University of Nebraska Medical Center’s Munroe-Meyer Institute, A University Center of Excellence for Developmental Disabilities, http://www.singasongofsixpence.org/results.html . Note: Scroll to the bottom of the Sixpence webpage to download the 2015-2016 Annual Report. In the Report, scroll to page 18 for results on home visiting parenting outcomes measured by KIPS.
MIECHV Performance Indicators. Prepared for U.S. Department of Health and Human Services by James Bell Associates, October, 2016